Rice University logo

When to Petition

If you have experienced extenuating circumstances that prevented you from meeting your responsibilities, you may petition the Committee for help. You may petition for permission to add or drop a course after the deadline, for permission to return to the University after a suspension, for waivers of rules or requirements, and for other actions pertaining to your academic status. If you have a problem that a professor or a department has the authority to solve, it is wise to approach the professor or department before petitioning the Committee, because the Committee will usually refer such matters to the professor or department for action.