Registering for fewer than twelve semester hours
According to the Academic Regulations, students who plan to enroll in fewer than twelve hours in any given semester must have the written approval of the Dean of Undergraduates before they register. In order to accomplish this, you must write a letter to the Dean making the request. The letter should address the following:
- List of the courses you wish to take and the total number of hours this represents.
- Give your specific reasons for making the request; it is advisable to consult with your faculty advisor or the Office of Academic Advising prior to submitting your petition to the Dean.
- Address the question of the effects on your degree plan; i.e. how do you plan to make up any deficits?
If you fall into any of the following categories, special considerations apply. Consult the appropriate office about your eligibility to do this and have someone in authority sign your letter to the Dean of Undergraduates.
- Varsity Athletes - NCAA rules. Consult the Athletic Office.
- International Students on non-immigrant visas (F) - INS rules. Consult the Office of International Students and Scholars
- Financial Aid - financial aid regulations. Consult the Financial Aid Office.
- Music Students - Consult the Assistant Dean of the Shepherd School of Music.
Although students are able to register in a reduced course load (before the drop deadline) via Esther, a written request must be submitted to the Dean of Undergraduates for official approval. Failure to do so will result in a hold placed on future registration.
Registering for more than twenty semester hours
If you would like to petition to take over 20 hours, please consult the following website for the process to petition for an overload: www.rice.edu/advising, click on "Undergraduate Experience." Please read the petitioning for registration overloads section, fill out the "Petition for Registration Overload (> 20 credits)," and submit your petition to email@example.com. Questions regarding the process should be directed to the Office of Academic Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-348-4060.