Rice University logo

Transfer Credit Evaluations

For transfer work completed prior to matriculation, the Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with the academic departments, determines whether courses are appropriate for transfer to Rice as Rice equivalent courses or as TRAN, general elective hours. TRAN will be indicated either as upper or lower level and will count toward the total hours needed for graduation and for required upper level credit if the TRAN credit is designated by the Office of the Registrar as upper level. If courses transferred as TRAN credit are subsequently granted Rice equivalent course credit by the Office of the Registrar and the academic department, the TRAN credit is reduced by the number of credit hours of the Rice equivalent course. The Rice equivalent course is then listed on the student's transcript and satisfies the university and major requirements the Rice course satisfies. For additional information, please consult the General Announcements that corresponds to year of matriculation.